A weighted blanket is great for sleeping at night or napping in the daytime, but they aren’t always convenient or portable when kids and adults are up and on the go.
The ideal solution for those occasions is a weighted lap pad to drape across the lap when seated, bringing soothing relief, while controlling restlessness and fidgeting.
Who Uses a Weighted Lap Pad?
Convenient lap pads are often used for school-aged children to help them remain calm and focused in classroom settings.
But they can be used by anyone in any circumstances where they offer support during a sitting session, such as car rides, travel, meal times, or waiting rooms.
A Good Selection of Available Products
There is a good selection of weighted lap pads on the market that work well as a comforting product with deep touch stimulation to ease restlessness and anxiety when in a seated position.
How to Choose a Weighted Lap Pad
There are some factors to keep in mind when you choose a weighted lap pad for a child or adult to help you get the most suitable product:
- Take the body size into account and choose one not too light or heavy.
- Choose a design or texture that will appeal to the user.
- Go with one that appears to be a weighted toy if it is more appealing.
- Consider how easy it will be to clean and care for the material.
- Check out the experience and background of the manufacturer.
- See what the guarantee and return policy are in case you need to return or exchange it.
Do your homework before you buy a weighted lap pad to get the best product for your needs. It pays to compare features before you make a final decision.
If you’re in the market for one of these products, check out the 5 top-rated weighted lap pads below:
(This post contains affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Opinions are our own and we do not receive payment for our reviews. See policy.)
1. Harkla Sensory Weighted Lap Pad
The Harkla weighted lap pad is designed for children with autism, ADHD, anxiety, and sensory processing disorders to be used at school, home, and on the go.
Features of the Harkla Lap Pad
The following features are included with the Harkla sensory weighted lap pad:
- The lap pad is made from Minky fabric that is soft for extra comfort and dotted for sensory appeal.
- Polypropylene pellets are used for the weight in small pockets to maximize the sensory input the user gets from them.
- The double stitching on every edge is done with care and an understanding that it needs to be durable for rough usage.
- The weight is 5 pounds and the dimensions are 21 inches x 19 inches.
- Occupational Therapists recommend this product.
- There are eBooks included in the order to improve education and support for autism.
- 1% of each sale goes to the University of Washington Autism Center for services and research.
- This product can be washed in cold water and dried on low heat, tumbled dry, or hung to dry.
- It is made with plastic pellets, so it shouldn’t be heated or dried on high heat.
- It is recommended not to use fabric softener and to lay flat to dry.
- This manufacturer offers a lifetime guarantee for your satisfaction.
2. Huggaroo Puppy Weighted Lap Pad
The Huggaroo Puppy weighted lap pad has a delightful design that will encourage children to carry it around as they move through their routines and daily life.
While it has the appearance of a toy, people of all ages might find it a comforting companion, and it comes in a Lamb option, as well.
Features of the Huggaroo Weighted Lap Pad
Here are the features of the Huggaroo puppy weighted lap pad:
- The outer cover is made from plush 100% polyester Minky and the insert is made from 100% cotton.
- The weight in the insert is created with hypoallergenic, odorless, non-toxic, food-grade polypropylene pellets.
- The puppy lap pad has a long flat appearance to drape over the lap.
- It weighs 3.6 pounds and measures 29 inches x 8 inches.
- Dr. Wendy Jordanov, the founder and CEO, is a former college professor, holding a Ph.D. in Educational Psychology and Research, and she has expertise in Developmental Psychology.
- They are donating 1% of the profits to One Simple Wish, which is a non-profit organization for children in foster care.
- This manufacture makes the claim of exceeding safety standards and has the product tested by a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission approved lab.
- The polyester cover and weighted cotton insert are machine washable on the gentle setting.
- It is recommended to air dry or air fluff in the dryer for the best results.
3. ReachTherapy Solutions Weighted Lap Pad
The ReachTherapy Solutions weighted lap pad is designed for children from 19-40 pounds to use on their lap, shoulders, back, or stomach. It is not intended for infants or children who weigh less than 19 pounds.
Features of the ReachTherapy Solutions Lap Pad
See the main features of the ReachTherapy Solutions weighted lap pad below:
- These weighted lap pads are made from soft cotton flannel and dimpled soft Minky fabric.
- They are double stitched with 8 weight sections to evenly distribute the weight.
- They are available in a multitude of kid-friendly patterns and designs to delight the children who use them.
- The lap pad is available in 4 sizes that include different dimensions with weights of 3, 5, or 7 pounds.
- ReachTherapy Solutions weighted lap pads are made by Dolan and Laura, speech therapists from Phoenix, AZ, who work with school-aged children on the spectrum.
- They started making weighted blankets and lap pads for their clients in 2013.
- It is recommended that you put the lap pad in a garment bag before washing.
- Use the cold water and gentle cycle.
- It can hang or tumble dry on low heat and a gentle cycle.
- No fabric softener should be used because it can ruin the minky material.
- Dissatisfied customers can return their lap pad for a full refund.
4. Fun and Function Wipe Clean Weighted Lap Pad
The Fun and Function weighted lap pad has the unique feature of being a wipe-clean pad made from soft vinyl. It’s perfect for using at mealtime or during crafts, making clean up easier.
Features of the Fun and Function Wipe-Clean Lap Pad
Below, you have the features of the Fun and Function wipe-clean lap pad:
- This weighted pad is made with quality vinyl on the outside.
- It is filled with steel shots for the weight.
- The Fun and Function lap pad comes in three sizes to accommodate different kid or adult sizes.
- The weights choices include 3, 5, or 7.5 pounds.
- The co-founder of Fun and Function is Aviva Weiss.
- The company is award-winning.
- Aviva, and her husband Haskel, decided to create their own sensory tools and products when they grew frustrated with the lack of options.
- Therapists, educators, and artists make up their team to design innovative toys, games, clothing, and therapy equipment.
- The weighted lap pad is made of easy-to-clean vinyl that you can just wipe with a cloth.
- They work with factories to make sure of the highest business standards.
- They regularly review new regulations in product safety.
5. Calming Covers Weighted Lap Pad
Features of the Calming Covers Weighted Lap Pad
The features of the Calming Covers weighted lap pad include:
- The lap pads are made from high-end fabrics.
- Designs have a limited run and change from time to time.
- They use small, hypoallergenic glass beads for softer, quieter, and odorless use.
- There is double stitching at the seams to increase durability.
- The lap pads are padded with premium, needle-punched batting that will not shift or bunch inside the covering.
- The weighted lap pad is 3 pounds and 23 inches x 19 inches
- The lap pad is machine-washable and dryer safe.
- For best results, it is recommended that it be machine-washed by itself and then hung to dry.
- This manufacturer offers a 100% money-back guarantee.
The 5 weighted lap pads highlighted above offer choices for a product to use when your child (or an adult) is traveling, sitting in a classroom setting, or in the home environment.
The lap pads can provide the calming effect of deep pressure stimulation to reduce their tension and anxiety for a calmer experience.
Where Can You Use a Weighted Lap Pad?
There are many situations where a weighted lap pad can provide support in the form of deep pressure therapy to sooth the user and allow them to participate in activities and events with more comfort.
Some suggestions include:
- Classroom activities that require extended periods of sitting like study, test-taking, or seat work.
- Traveling by car or other methods for prolonged periods, or even short trips.
- Waiting in places like doctors’ offices, dentists’ offices, or other appointments.
- Taking in sporting events that require sitting for long periods.
- Mealtimes, snack breaks, or doing crafts at a table or bench.
Making use of a weighted lap pad can gift many people the opportunity to join family, friends, and classmates in fun, educational, and daily activities with more enjoyment and comfort. They’re a great portable alternative to using a larger weighted blanket.